A Guide to Troubleshooting HVAC Problems
There are times when you may be able to solve your HVAC issue yourself, without a technician visiting your property, simply by following a few troubleshooting HVAC tips. Read over the troubleshooting HVAC tips outlined below if your AC or heater is malfunctioning. You can try these common solutions before calling for repairs!
AC or Heater – No Cooling or Heating
- Double-check your thermostat: Make sure the temperature is set below the current room temperature if you want the AC to run, or above the current temperature to get the heater to turn on. You may need to turn the temperature down to its lowest number to get the AC to kick on, or to its highest for the heater.
- Inspect the air filter: You may not be feeling airflow even when the AC or heater is on due to dirty filters. When a filter gets dirty enough, it can block your system’s airflow. Simply change out the filter for a new one if you find that this is the problem.
- Check on the power connections: Both the indoor and outdoor components of your air conditioning system have a power switch that needs to be turned ON for your system to work properly. A furnace or boiler will have a power switch as well.
- Check the electrical panel’s breaker: Make sure the unit’s connection at the electrical panel is securely connected and not damaged.
Gas/Oil Boiler or Gas Furnace – No Heating
- Inspect the pilot light: If your pilot light is out, you will likely be able to relight it yourself. You should also check the color of the flame. The pilot light should burn a deep blue with a light yellow tip. If the flame is yellow or orange, or any other color aside from blue, there is a problem that may need to be addressed by a professional if cleaning does not help.
- Check the fuel source: For a boiler, ensure there is enough fuel and adequate flow to the equipment. A gas furnace will need to have an open gas control valve to operate correctly.
Schedule a Service Appointment Today!
If you find that these troubleshooting tips do not solve your HVAC challenge, Ugo DiGrazia Air Conditioning & Heating would be happy to help. To ask a question or schedule service, call us today at (860) 296-1281 or submit the contact form.